The threat of hurricane Irene is very real at Hutchins Farm.
Please cross your fingers for only minor damage to come our way. The forecast is looking pretty grim with high winds and a lot of rain. Uggg…..
The only thing I can think to do at a time like this is cook. Cook, and pick a lot of green tomatoes. (They will ripen eventually!)
Anyways, Taylor and I were both in the mood for comfort food tonight. We worked out in the rain this afternoon and wanted something hearty and delicious to simmer down with.
Since I was feeling bummed about the weather forecast I turned to 4 ingredients that have never let me down.
bacon, leeks, mushrooms, and gruyere cheese. (It’s all about the comfort food tonight!)
And thank you Leese for giving me inspiration to make quesadillas. It was definitely a quesadilla night in our household. And with my 4 favorite ingredients on hand, I knew I couldn’t go wrong.
Mushroom leek quesadillas:
3 leeks, finely chopped (white and light green parts only)
2 cups mushrooms (i used cremini)
3 strips bacon
1 cup gruyere cheese
2 flour tortillas
1. cook your bacon. Once done, remove from heat and set aside. Crumble into bite sized pieces once it’s cool enough. Keep the pan, bacon fat and all, reserved for the other ingredients.
2. cook you leeks in the bacon fat for about 3 minutes over medium heat.
3. add your mushrooms. cook over medium heat until cooked through. About 6-8 minutes.
4. Assemble your tortillas. Layer cheese, leek and mushroom mixture, and crumbled bacon.
5. Add more oil to the same pan. Cook the tortillas for about 3 minutes per side. Enjoy!
Garnish with sour cream and parsley. Yum!