I went where no beet has gone before…. Beet soup! (okay, so many people have probably made beet soup, but this is something totally new for me and I am going to bask in my glory.) This recipe totally knocked my socks off and I am very happy to share it with you all. We ate our beet soup with a side of roasted brussels sprouts. The brussels sprouts were really good, but next time we are roasting them in cream and bacon! (thanks for the idea Julie!) Alright, on to tonight’s menu: Beet soup with roasted brussels sprouts
I got the beet soup recipe from allrecipes.com
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 medium beets, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups beef stock
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- heavy cream
- Warm olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onions and garlic; cook until soft but not browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in beets, and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in stock, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cover, and simmer until the beets are tender, about 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat, and allow to cool slightly.
- In batches, add soup to a food processor, and pulse until liquefied. Return soup to saucepan, and gently heat through. Ladle into bowls, and garnish with a swirl of cream